Wednesday, October 6, 2010

What Outland was like.

One thing I have not really been able to discern in terms of the story of Burning Crusade, or at least not have come up with a satisfactorily coherent explanation.

My question: Why were the players interested in stopping Illidan in Outland? Illidan was not serving the Burning Legion, if I understand correctly. I understand that originally the Legion re-invaded Azeroth from the Dark Portal, which prompted a counteroffensive into Hellfire Peninsula. I am not clear, however, on why the player ends up fighting in the Black Temple, and TK, and SSC.

The best answer I can come up with after perusing various sources is that there is a continuing chain of "enemy-of-my-enemy" style interactions. After entering the Dark Portal on the side of Horde or Alliance, you encounter various factions which are dealing with problems that can generally be classed into a few sets of problems: The Legion and their minions, Illidari forces, the Black Dragonflight, or the general environmental hostility of Draenor.

By working with many different factions, you end up signing up with the Scryers/Aldor, and you also end up in Shadowmoon Valley or Netherstorm, both of which are largely dealing with Illidari and Legion problems. Basically you got introduced to the S/A because you knew a guy who knew a guy who thought you were a pretty good guy to have on their side. And up until that point, for whatever reason, the Illidari forces were hostile to you, and they'd been making war on Shattrath, and harassing the H/A.

This is interesting to me, because looking back on it, it felt very organic. You just kind of ended up fighting them. You came to Outland for the Legion, you stayed for the Illidari.

What I don't really get is why I as Luqa should have cared. I guess it's sort of like, when you end up taking a job that you never really pictured yourself having, just because you started off at one place, then heard about another, then you had another connection from some other place. You find yourself as the Systems Administrator at Random Startup with a Cutesy Name one day. Likewise, I found myself CCing Naga in Black Temple one day, trying to conquer BT. It was a fight that I wanted to win, but losing it (as I actually did since I never had time during BC to actually get farther than Gorefiend (I still don't get why Gorefiend was even chilling there with Illidan)) was not really of any consequence to my character.

I mention this because the big difference for me is that in WotLK, playing a Blood Elf as my primary character, it really felt like almost every quest and raid and heroic was a crusade for me. I play my main character as a person who lost her memory as a result of the Scourge invasion, but has been dedicated to rebuilding her people and creating a home for them in Silvermoon and in the Horde. I should be quite impetuous, then, to take on the Lich King, and I was, and I finally downed him a couple months ago, and it was fucking epic.

Outland for me was a fight, but not my fight. Now I'm wondering which it will be in Cataclysm- will Luqa feel personally invested in the conflicts that occur, or it will it just be something to occupy herself?

No comments:

Post a Comment